At a Glance:
- Graduate: MAT Special Education Early Intervention, MAT Elementary, Certification-Only K-12 (PE/Art/Music/World Languages), Certification-Only Secondary (English/Math/Social Studies/Science/Business), Certification-Only Special Education Early Intervention, Certification-Only Elementary, Certification-Only Special Education Elementary, Certification-Only Special Education Secondary
- Graduate Add-On Certificates: Adaptive PE, ESL, Mild/Moderate, School Librarian, Early Intervention, Reading Specialist, Educational Diagnostician, Academically Gifted, Significant Disabilities
About the Program
Southeastern's mission is to lead the educational, economic, and cultural development of southeast Louisiana. The university's core values of excellence and caring reflect what you can expect from the program.
Special Content Partners
- US Prep
- Partnership with 7+ school districts
Specialized Certification Add Ons
- Post-Baccalaureate options range from 1-3 years, though after one semester, Alternative Certification students are eligible for a Practitioner’s License so they can find a job and student teach in their own classroom.
- Master's in Education take generally 2 years.
- Add-on programs generally take 1-2 years.
The mission of the Department of Teaching & Learning at Southeastern Louisiana University is to provide a quality program through which teacher candidates demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to have a positive impact on student achievement in grades PreK-12.
Support for Candidates
- Use of the NIET/TAP rubric for coaching
- Two-semester residency/internship experience
- Mentor teachers at school sites
- Site Coordinators from the University
- Placement into school settings as soon as possible
- Use of instructional resources in Teacher Development Center lab
- Referral to Teacher Development Center for additional support (lesson planning, lesson pacing, etc.)
- Southeastern requires teacher candidates to attend professional development, and university faculty offer professional development during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Stewards of Children: Darkness to Light Training
Ready to Apply?
- Apply to the University at the link.
- MAT and Certification: Only graduates students gain admission to the professional program after one semester of instruction.
- MAT and Certification: Only students are eligible for the Practitioner’s License after the first 6-credit hours are earned. This allows them to complete an internship rather than a residency for their practice teaching.